1. One of our client wants to leave his iPad and or Android device at stores to collect some survey info and obviously the client wants to make the device work like a Kiosk that way users dont mess around and get distracted from the primary purpose which here being able to fill the survey.
2. Another client of ours for whom we have developed a route delivery application on Android tablets wanted almost similar functionality that way the field agents/employees wouldn’t be able to
Thanks to the latest IOS 6 accessibility features and apps available on google play store, it is easier to achieve the kiosk like feature than you think without spending too much money or time trying to embed that feature in the app and re-release it if your app already exists in production. Remember we are all about saving money to our clients and let them concentrate on spending their money on stuff that adds value to their business
iPhone or iPad with IOS6
As mentioned this feature is available for devices that are running on ios6.
That’s it now your device is in kiosk mode with the app you choosed. To get out the Kiosk mode, you can triple click on the home button and enter the password you set above .
Android Phone or Tablet with an app called SureLock (Rooting is not required atleast for the devices we have tested)
1. Install the SureLock app from the google play store by following this link (http://goo.gl/nsO0q)
2. When you launch the app, pay attention to the instruction which asks you to select “SureLock” and tap on Always.
3. Now you will a screen with your app icon. You can also set Wallpaper for branding purposes if you want to by going back to Admin Settings. So from now on your end users for this device can only use this app
4. If you want to get out of the kiosk mode, you will need to tap on the screen “4″ times and it will ask for the password that you set above. If you enter the right password, you can get back to admin settings and do what ever you want to do back in that screen. If you want to exit from the Kiosk mode, just tap on ”Exit SureLock” and you can use this device in normal mode without any limitations
Tested on Samsung Galaxy 3 with Jellybean and Asus Transformer TF300 tablet with Jelly bean and it works perfectly without any rooting